Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Give Me Strength - One Month Later

I think I have a new best friend...


Yes, folks...my new best friend is the foam roller.  It's been a month since I started doing the strength training sessions and I've been sore pretty much every week so Mr. Foamie and I have become quite close.  I totally admit that I'm a 98 pound weakling so expected a lot of soreness but the good news is that as the weeks hum along, I'm a little less sore between sessions so hopefully that means progress.  So the big question is...how am I liking strength training?

I looooooooovvvvvveeeee eeeet!

I'm so glad that M invited me to join the group...our trainers Josh and Riley have been totally awesome and encouraging so I'm not quite as intimidated (OK, let's be honest...chickenshit is a more apt description) as I was at the beginning.  The group I'm working with is small (me likey) and fun (me likey even more) so the time goes by quickly and everyone is super supportive.  I really like learning how to use the equipment and having exercise routines that I can refer to in the future and I'm also liking the PISE facility...it's a pretty busy place, but in a lot of ways I enjoy that because I find I feed off the energy of others and get inspired when I see people working out hard. 

As far as how I'm physically feeling, I'm feeling stronger and am within about five pounds of deadlifting my own bodyweight and am bench pressing just slightly over half my weight...woohooo!  Pretty happy with that considering I haven't done a lot of strength work in the past.  I don't know if I've actually lost any weight because I've made a conscious decision to not weigh myself and have...wait for it...taken pictures.  Yes, people...I took 'before' pictures so I can see what kind of changes happen over the next few months but I will spare people from posting them because...well, you need your eyes to read this blog, right?  Ha!  Anyways, I can tell that clothes are fitting better and not quite as tight as they were at the beginning of January after the holiday season when I ate and drank my way through December...yes, you know you're in deep, deep trouble when your yoga pants are feeling tight.  The one thing that I have really noticed though with the strength work is that I'm constantly ravenous.  I've been making sure to eat enough (and the right foods) as I'm working out a lot now with the strength work on top of running and bootcamp, but there have been more than a few occasions where I've woken up in the middle of the night after a class absolutely crazy hungry, even after having a full, balanced dinner...in fact, I'm so hungry that I actually have to get out of bed and go get something to eat or I can't sleep.  Yes, Hubs loves me a lot to put up with me. Ha!

So there you go.  One month down, two more to go!

1 comment:

Char said...

Wow I'm impressed. Deadlifting close to your own weight is pretty impressive to say nothing of bench pressing half of yourself. I used to do some weights way back when I was a discus thrower and the best I could ever bench press was 1/3 of my weight. I blame long arms.