Sunday, September 22, 2013

2013 - Week 38 Recap

Back in the saddle!  I've been cleared by new physio guy to start increasing my distances by half a kilometre each run until I'm back at the usual distances that we do.  I also got the green light to head back to bootcamp, so I'm going tomorrow to an early morning class out at Esquimalt Lagoon.  Will for sure take it super easy and let my body get used to things again...not gonna lie, it's going to be hard to get up at 5am again, but do love starting off my day with a workout.

The amazing thing I've noticed is that ever since I've been working with my old physio again, I'm feeling less sore all over.  I still have a couple of niggles I need to work on, but I used to absolutely ache all over, particularly my legs.  I think getting my body in alignment and being super diligent with my stretching and rollering has been key...every night I spend at least half an hour with my best friends the foam roller, lacrosse ball and the rolling stick.

Oh!  And some other exciting news...so I've mentioned a few times that I've been really enjoying working with weights, right?  Well, I decided to sign up for a beginner lifting class at PISE called Raise the Bar...

Olympic Lifting is an extremely technical, demanding and rewarding form of strength training. Raise the Bar is your introduction to Olympic Lifting that starts with mastering 4 major lifts (Front Squats, Deadlifts, Bent-Over Row and Overhead Press) before transitioning into Olympic Lifting instruction. Working within a small group is essential for each participant to receive the personalized feedback required for safe progression through more advanced lifting techniques.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  I'm super excited, but admittedly, I'm a little nervous...I signed up on my own, so won't know anyone in class...but I think because it's a small group, it will be fine.   So why did I sign up for this?  I've been wanting to do some barbell work for awhile because I actually have one at home that's sitting at home begging me to use it.  Every time I pick up the dumbbells, I swear it whimpers a bit and lets out a lonely sigh...sob...lift me, nice lady?  Never one to want to see good equipment go to waste, I jumped at the chance when I saw this class particularly because it goes through some fundamental lifts like the deadlift, which is a fantastic all around exercise that strengthens the whole body...I really want to make sure I learn the right technique to avoid injury and going to a small class with lots of personal instruction is perfect.  Plus I really like PISE so want to continue to take some classes there and support the trainers and the great facility that they have there.  Six sessions starting in November...the only bad part is that the class starts late at 8pm (this is around the time that I'm donning my pyjamas), but it's sorta good because then there will be less people around to witness my pathetic lifting technique.  Heh.

yikes...what have I gotten myself into?!

WORKOUTS:

Sunday: strength

Monday: 30 mins treadmill run

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 30 mins treadmill run

Thurs: rest

Friday: 30 mins treadmill run

Saturday: 5.5K run, 10 minute circuit


FOOD:
Pretty good overall.  I was on a bit of a slide back on my week of vacation, but I was on vacation, man!  Anyways, I strayed a bit that week but have been back on the clean eating train.

RECIPES:
Whole wheat pasta with lentils and leek from Gourmet Nutrition, Cumin Lime Quinoa salad and Tofu Quiche with Sundried Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Basil from Oh She Glows (the tofu quiche was fabulous, by the way!).



1 comment:

Char said...

How exciting that you're going to give weight lifting a try. It'll be fun to follow your journey.